The Union of European Federalists considers that:
- The right of residence belongs to the rights induced by the European citizenship.
- The European citizenship is key for the development of the European project into a true European federation.
- The European citizenship is a source of legitimation of the European institutions and in particular the European Parliament.
- A European federation will exist only if accompanied by an effective European citizenship not subject to national ones.
- If social or security issues were arising, they should be dealt by adequate EU tools and institutions and not by policies restricting the mobility rights of European citizens.
- Considers that discrimination based on origin fuels nationalistic feelings by pointing out foreigners as the cause of problems.
The Union of European Federalists stresses that:
- The rights and duties associated to the EU citizenship should be ensured identically in all EU countries and in particular the freedom of movement and residency which should not be subject to national discrimination.
The Union of European Federalists therefore asks for:
- the removal from the directive 2004/38 of elements entailing a discrimination or a restrictions to the right of residence (article 6, 7, 14, Chapter IV and Chapter VI).
- a revision of Directive 2004/38 in the course of the year 2017.