We are Europe Civil Society Meet-Up 2019
Unite Europe, Save the Earth: our common challenge!
Fighting global warming and climate change is a key challenge for the European Union. An increasing number of Europeans are deeply concerned about the impacts of climate change and the lack of political consensus to take an action. Green parties in various countries celebrated big gains in European elections amid growing voter concerns over climate change. Nevertheless, the competences, powers and resources of the European Union to act and make a radical change in Europe and in the world in this field are limited. Building a united, democratic and sovereign Europe and saving the planet are more and more two faces of the same coin, a common challenge and a common mission.
In this week-end seminar in Vilnius we will discuss from various angles the deep connection between advancing European integration and fighting climate change at European and global level.
Friday 4 October
- Keynote speeches and debate: Building a United Europe, Saving the Earth – a common challenge?
- Panel debate with experts: Melting Autobahns and jaguars in swimming pools: how serious is really climate change?
Saturday 5 October
Seminar & workshops:
- Expert interventions and discussions: What is the EU doing on climate change, what can it do more?
- Discussion on economic aspects of climate policy: The cost of climate policies - ambitions vs reality: how can EU countries afford to be green and how can the EU help?
- Discussion on international politics aspects of climate policy: US and the China as the big world polluters - can Europe lead the world against climate change?
- Workshop: The Role of Civil Society Organisations in Facing Climate Change?
Sunday 6 October
Union of European Federalists Political Commission Meeting
- Developing Federalist Policies and a Strategy Action against Climate Change
Please find the draft programme here.
Registration of participants
Please register as soon as possible as the number of places is limited (30 places guaranteed). Participants will be accepted on “first come first served” principle and will be informed on a regular basis soon after submitting their application.
Registration is compulsory by Sunday 25th of September by filling in the registration form.
Accepted participants requesting a travel reimbursement (see below) are required to pay a participation fee of 60 EUR to help towards covering the costs of the events. The contribution must be transferred by bank transfer prior to the event:
Union of European Federalists
BNP Paribas Fortis
Agence Quartier Léopold
Place du Luxembourg 14B - 1050 Ixelles
IBAN: BE69 2100 3760 9578
SWIFT CODE: GEBABEBB
"We are Europe Meet-Up Vilnius": *First Name* *Last Name*"
Accommodation (double room with twin beds) for Friday 4 October and Saturday 5 October and all meals (dinner on Friday and Saturday, lunch on Saturday and coffee breaks) are covered by the organisers. For people requesting a single room, an additional fee of 60 EUR applies.
Participants residing outside Vilnius will be eligible to reimbursement of travel expenses of 70% and up to a maximum reimbursement of 150 EUR. Reimbursements will be made on the spot and in cash only, upon presentation of proof of payment. Please, don’t forget to bring the original receipts and tickets with you.
Friday 4th of October
Martynas Mazvydas National Library of Lithuania,
Gedimino pr. 51, Vilnius 01504
Saturday 5th of October
Vilnius University Institute of International Relations and Political Science,
Vokiečių g. 10, Vilnius 01130