The Democracy is Europe Project, co-funded by the Europe for Citizens Programme of the European Union, aims at raising awareness of remembrance, common history and values and the Union’s aim that is to promote peace, its values and the well-being of its peoples by stimulating debate, reflection and development of networks.
It will take place from August 2020 to July 2021. It will encourage participants to reflect on the centrality of the European ideals in the revolutions of 1989-1991 and on the future of values in Europe and the EU future. The project will be implemented through a series of 6 local events hosted in different cities:
- Online, Germany, from 01 to 03 December 2020 in collaboration with Europa-Union Deutschland;
- Online Hungary, from 22 to 23 January 2021 in collaboration with UEF Hungary;
- Online, Lithuania, from 20 to 21 February 2021;
- Online, Czechia, from 12 to 13 March 2021;
- Hybrid format, Tartu, Estonia, from 23 to 24 April 2021 in collaboration with the University of Tartu;
- Online, Poland, from 11 to 12 June 2021.
A final conference with policy-makers Online in Brussels in July 2021. Each event will lead participants through a reflection about the role the EU had in the construction of their democracies and link it with today’s challenges to the rule of law and human rights, fostering a reflection on the importance to defend the European ideal as part of the continuation of the democratic revolutions started 30 years ago.
More info available at